If you are like most people, you have heard of leggings. Chances are you have a few pairs of your own, too. After all, this is one of the most comfortable items anyone can wear.
While this is true, there are some detractors to this wardrobe staple. For example, how can you wear them throughout the year and still look stylish?
Keep reading for some helpful tips and do’s and don’ts to wearing leggings.
What Exactly Are Leggings?
Before diving into the do’s and don’ts of the leggings, it is important to learn more about what they are – exactly. Keep in mind, here we are not discussing workout leggings that you wear as casual attire daily. The leggings we discuss here are black, dark gray, or other dark-colored leggings that end at your ankle. This legging style is made from thicker fabric, and they do not go down to your feet.
Sometimes, people confuse tights and leggings. Tights are designed to go from your waist and cover your toes. These are sheer or opaque. Leggings do not have these features.
What to Look for When Shopping for Leggings?
When you shop for new leggings, try to find options made of a thicker material that is not see-through. Be sure the leggings are soft and comfortable. They should be form-fitting to hold you together, and so they flatter your legs.
The Do’s of Wearing Leggings
There are certain things you should do when wearing leggings. The style tips below are considered “general,” so if you have an outfit that looks amazing, then breaking these style tips is acceptable.
- Wear leggings that fit you properly.
- Stick to darker colored leggings when possible.
- Choose solid colors.
- Keep things classy, not sexy (unless you want to look sexy).
- Wear sweaters or long tops that cover your rear.
- Wear the right underwear with your leggings.
- Layer tops to achieve a sense of balance.
- Choose comfortable leggings.
- Choose leggings that are the right length.
- Pair leggings with the right shoes.
The Don’ts of Wearing Leggings
Along with all the things you need to do when wearing leggings, there are a few things to avoid, as well. Some of the don’ts of wearing leggings are found here.
- Avoid crazy patterned leggings.
- Avoid neon or brightly colored leggings.
- Avoid white leggings unless you pair them with a dress, tunic, or long shirt.
- Avoid leggings with loose seams, rips, or holes.
- No leggings at the office without dressing them up.
- Avoid leggings that are too stretched out or loose.
- No shiny or spandex leggings.
The goal of wearing leggings is to feel comfortable. If you don’t feel comfortable, avoid the leggings. Your confidence is key to pulling off this look.
As you can see, there are several things you need to know about wearing leggings. With the tips and information here, you should be on your way to rocking a new pair of leggings at the office, for a night on the town, or to run errands.